Friday, May 22, 2009

Ferdinand faces 'toughest battle'

Share


Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand says the race to be fit for the Champions League final in Rome is "the toughest battle of his career."

Ferdinand has missed three games with a calf injury and has been told he must prove his fitness against Hull on Sunday to have any chance of playing.

"It's perhaps the most important injury battle of my career," he said ahead of next Wednesday's clash with Barcelona.

"I've not thought about not playing in the final. It's as simple as that."

Ferdinand last played for United in the Champions League semi-final, second-leg victory over Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on 5 May, shortly before suffering his calf injury in training.He had already been doubtful for that game because of a rib injury sustained in the first leg, while he has also been plagued by back and groin problems this season.

If Ferdinand is not fit for the game against Barcelona next week, his place in the team is likely to go to Jonny Evans.

However, 30-year-old Ferdinand said he was so preoccupied with thinking about his injury, he was not thinking too much about the game in Rome next week.

"I trained with the ball on Wednesday and did some running, so I'm doing all the movements I need to be doing before a game," he said.

"I haven't even thought much about the actual details of the final. I've been so engrossed in my injury that I haven't thought about much else.

"I'll start thinking about the actual match when I'm sitting on the plane to Rome."

"You'll have to ask the manager if I'm playing, but physically I'd be able to do it, no problem.

0 Comments:

World Of Currencies | Formula One RAcing