Monday, September 7, 2009

Giggs : I will not play on till 40

Share

Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs
Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs wants to move into coaching once his playing days are over.

The 36-year-old winger is still very much part of Sir Alex Ferguson's plans but the Welshman knows his playing career is possibly coming to an end despite his willingness to carry on.

The Daily Mirror reported, "I know football is my life and I will look for another challenge in the game,

"What I do accept, though, is I'm not going to be playing at 40 and when my body tells me I can't sustain playing at this level any more I know it will be time to call it a day,"

Signaling his intent to continue being involved in the game, Giggs also revealed his biggest regret in an otherwise illustrious career spanning over two decades.

"I don't consciously think about finishing my playing career but at the same time it's important to make the necessary adjustments for when it eventually arrives.

"I have done my coaching courses and would like to stay in the game in some capacity.

"But if you are asking me if I have a direct plan of action when I retire, I couldn't say one way or another.

"I feel as good as I have been because I don't play as much. When I do play I feel a lot more refreshed.

"It's about getting the balance right so you can sustain your career.

"I've been lucky that since my career began I have had sustained periods of rest.

"Playing for Wales, we never qualified for a major championships, which I deeply regret, but it has helped me as I got older."

Giggs also touched on his change in mentality when it comes to winning and losing games.

"I do deal with it totally differently now," he said. "When I was younger it would take me an age to get over it.

"It hurts as much now but you get over it quicker. When you're a younger player you think it's the end of the world.

"As you get older the recovery period accelerates because you need to move on quicker. But it's down to character.

"Some players get over defeat quicker. I'm one of the elder statesmen now so I assist players if I feel it's needed.

"I used to sit at the back of the coach when I was younger and feel it was the end of the world. The likes of Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce would always pick me up so I try to do the same for other players.

"When you're playing for Manchester United winning is the be all and end all. It's the only thing that counts.

"Nothing else matters. There are great expectations and pressure to sustain success but it comes with the territory and you deal with it."

The evergreen winger was also determined to quash rumours that things are going downhill at United since the departure of stars like Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo.

"The club won't stand still because players have left," he said. "We will continue to evolve under the manager and maintain our challenge for silverware.

"People are making a far bigger thing about it outside of the club than we are.

"Obviously Cristiano was a world class player and will be missed but how many times have players left United and we have been written off only to prove the critics wrong?

"I have seen many great players come and go over the years but the drive and determination to succeed remain the same.

"You can never underestimate the manager because as I have discovered over the years he always seems to come up with the answers."

0 Comments:

World Of Currencies | Formula One RAcing