Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Eduardo: The best day of my life

Share


Arsenal FC striker Eduardo da Silva said it was "the best day of my life" after he scored twice on his competitive comeback from a horrific leg injury in the Gunners' 4-0 FA Cup fourth-round replay victory against Cardiff City AFC on Monday night.

'Tear in my eye'
Eduardo opened the scoring on 20 minutes and added another from the penalty spot 15 minutes into the second half on an emotional evening for the Croatian international, whose career was threatened by the compound fracture of the left fibula and dislocated ankle he suffered at Birmingham City FC on 23 February 2008. Although he had featured as a substitute for Croatia against Romania last week, teeing up the decisive strike in a 2-1 friendly win, he was delighted to be back among the goals for Arsenal. "This was the best day of my life because I've proved I can play football again," he said. "It was a special moment for me to score. I was very emotional and I had a tear in my eye. I celebrated by kissing my wedding ring because my wife, my daughter and all my family supported me through this."

Mental strength
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger paid tribute to the 25-year-old Brazilian-born forward, saying: "Of course it is nearly 12 months out and he has been extremely strong mentally during that time, I could never see one minute of doubt in his mind or one minute where he said, 'No, I don't want to do it'. He always wanted more and this guy is small but has the mental strength of a mountain." Having come through the replay against Cardiff, Arsenal will play Burnley in the fifth round, with the winner of that tie to meet either Sheffield United FC or Hull City AFC in the quarter-finals. Arsenal resume their UEFA Champions League campaign at home to AS Roma in the first knockout round next Tuesday.

0 Comments:

World Of Currencies | Formula One RAcing