Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Eriksson plays down Pompey link

Share


Sven-Goran Eriksson has denied he is set to become Portsmouth boss and has reiterated his desire to stay as Mexico manager until after the 2010 World Cup.

The ex-England boss is preparing for a World Cup qualifier tie against the United States in Columbus on Wednesday.

"I am very happy where I am. It's always nice to be mentioned but there is nothing," insisted Eriksson.

"I have a contract with Mexico until 2010. We will qualify and we will do everything we can do to win."

After Tony Adams was sacked as Portsmouth manager on Monday, Eriksson has been strongly linked with the post - along with ex-Chelsea boss Avram Grant and former boss of Charlton and West Ham Alan Curbishley.

"It's always like that when a manager leaves a club for whatever reason - if he leaves or if he is sacked," Eriksson said of the rumours circulating following Adams' departure. "I'm not the only manager being mentioned in this story."

Other people in the frame for the Fratton Park role include Croatia coach Slaven Bilic, ex-Sunderland boss Roy Keane and former England managers Terry Venables and Glenn Hoddle.

Portsmouth are 16th in the Premier League table - two places and one point above the relegation zone - and Paul Hart has been put in charge of the first team, starting with Saturday's home game against Manchester City.

Commenting on the club's temporary boss, Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie told the club website: "Paul's a strong character and at the moment I think it needs a strong character.

"The players will give him respect for as long as he's doing it. He's a good guy. He jumped at the chance to do it and I'm sure you'll see quite a steadying hand.

"What we need to do is gel together, work as one, cut out the mistakes and just get going and get a couple of results. We really must do everything we can to make sure we stay in the Premier League."

Eriksson led England at the 2006 World Cup and a year later the 61-year-old Swede took over as Manchester City boss before his Mexico appointment in June 2008.

Eriksson added: "I always said I have a contract until 2010, after the World Cup. In football, you never know what will happen but I have a contract and I want to win on Wednesday.

"I have always said that Mexico will be in South Africa. It's very important to start winning but I don't think that my future depends on getting a good result tomorrow, life will go on.

"If we lose, we will have nine more games to qualify to the World Cup but I repeat: I'm not thinking about a defeat."

0 Comments:

World Of Currencies | Formula One RAcing