Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Deco Warns Chelsea: It’s Almost Impossible To Stop Lionel Messi

Share


Chelsea swept past Liverpool 7-5 on aggregate in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and have been rewarded with a showdown with the competition’s red-hot favourites, Barcelona, in the semi-finals.

One of the Blues’ star signings of last summer, Deco, spent four seasons with the Blaugrana before making the jump to Stamford Bridge. He knows all about Barca's dangerman, Lionel Messi, after watching him rise through the ranks as a teenager.

“Leo Messi is incredible. He is one of my best friends and I know him well,” he was quoted as saying by Sport.

“At the moment, Leo is almost impossible to stop on his day. He is an incredible player and if he is on form, we can only wait and see who has the ability to stop him.”

The 31-year-old has no qualms about taking on Barcelona in the semi-finals, and he also assured that he bears no grudges against his old club after he was told by incoming coach Pep Guardiola that he was no longer needed.

“Barca are one of the rivals we managed to avoid in the first knockout rounds, but at this stage, you cannot choose your opponents,” he affirmed.

“If we want to go all the way to the final in Rome, we must beat them, which will not be easy work.

“I still have a great deal of affection for Barca. I was very happy there and I cannot help but think fondly about that stage of my life. I also have great memories of the city of Barcelona and of Catalunya and in fact, whenever I get the chance, I will go back to my house there and visit my friends.

“As for Pep, I think that he is doing a great job at Barca and the club are on to something huge.”

The first leg of the semi-final clash will take place at the Camp Nou on April 28.

0 Comments:

World Of Currencies | Formula One RAcing