Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pires puts history to one side

Share


Robert Pires insists the Villarreal players have put 2006 out of their minds as they prepare to face Arsenal.

Three years ago the Gunners went to El Madrigal and successfully defended a 1-0 lead from the first leg to reach the Champions League final after Jens Lehmann produced a dramatic late penalty save.

Pires was a member of that Gunners side, but will be in the home team's ranks tonight.

"On the part of the players there is no thoughts of revenge, we simply want to be in the semi-finals, but I'm sure that fans have not forgotten and they will probably want us to avenge that loss," he said.

Pires' last appearance for Arsenal came in the 2006 Champions League final, which the Gunners lost 2-1 to Barcelona, before the Frenchman moved to Villarreal later that summer.

That move brought to an end a highly successful six-year spell at Arsenal under boss Arsene Wenger, and the 35-year-old recalls it was not easy to say goodbye to the Premier League outfit.

"It was a very difficult decision because I thought I was going to end my career with Arsenal, but Wenger did not have much confidence in me and I was luckily enough to be able to come to Villarreal," he said tonight.

"I didn't make a mistake because I'm very happy at Villarreal, which is a team with a lot of quality."

He added: "It's a very special tie for me because I played six years there, but now I defend Villarreal's colours and I can't forget that. The only wish I have now is get through this tie and into the semi-finals with Villarreal."

Arsenal make the trip to Spain in excellent form and Pires said: "They are coming here after going 17 games unbeaten but Villarreal are not afraid of this because the Champions League and league are very different in many ways.

"We have a lot of confidence because we usually play very well against the English teams and we have to play and enjoy the game as normal.

"People think that Villarreal cannot win the Champions League, but I think we could at least reach the final because we have a lot of quality and then in one game anything can happen."

0 Comments:

World Of Currencies | Formula One RAcing