Monday, December 8, 2008

Ronaldo gets hands on Ballon d'Or

Share


Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo was handed the prestigious European Player of the Year award in a televised ceremony on Sunday.

Accompanied to Paris by United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, Ronaldo collected the Ballon d'Or - golden ball - trophy from France Football magazine.

"I've been playing for Manchester for five years - I feel at home," said the 23-year-old Ronaldo.

"I'm happy at Manchester and want to stay."

During the summer Ronaldo was linked with a move to Real Madrid after a season in which he scored 42 goals for United as Ferguson's side won the Premier League and the Champions League.

"I'm an ambitious person. I don't want it to stop here," said Ronaldo reflecting on his success. "I think we have to keep trying to win trophies, collectively and individually. I'm on the right track.

It's always special to reach this level, the important thing is to stay there. The idea is to keep progressing, collectively and individually as well.

"Without my team I couldn't have won it, and I have to thank them also."

Ronaldo was the first United player to win the award since George Best in 1968 and Ferguson predicted the best was yet to come from the Portuguese forward.

"It's a long time since we won one, 40 years ago," said Ferguson. "Of course, he's only 23. He's only just beginning. When players get to 26 they start to mature."

0 Comments:

World Of Currencies | Formula One RAcing