Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lăcătuş steps aside as Steaua coach

Share


Marius Lacatus has resigned as coach of FC Steaua Bucuresti in the wake of Tuesday's 5-3 UEFA Champions League home defeat against Olympique Lyonnais, saying: "Unfortunately, I could not bring out better performances."

Angry response
Steaua led 2-0 and 3-2 against Lyon before coming unstuck at the Steaua Stadium. They are bottom of Group F with one point from three games and face away fixtures against French champions Lyon and German counterparts FC Bayern München in their next two ties. Steaua owner George Becali hit out at Lacatus after the game, saying: "I said that I would never sack Lacatus and I will respect my promise, so I will leave him alone until he drowns."

Calm decision
Lacatus, 44, responded by handing in his resignation. "I have decided to quit," he said. "It was a good year, but obviously it could have been better. Unfortunately, I could not bring out better performances. Anyway, it's been an experience and maybe I will learn from the mistakes I made. I am leaving, because I don't see things getting better. It's better for me to leave than for the players to suffer and be under extra pressure."

Shaky form
The former FC Brasov, Steaua, ACF Fiorentina, Real Oviedo and FC National Bucuresti forward was appointed as the club's coach in October 2007 following spells in charge at National, Brasov, FC Otelul Galati and FCM UTA Arad. A European Champion Clubs' Cup and UEFA Super Cup winner with Steaua in 1986, he led his side to a runners-up finish in the Romanian league last season, and resigns with the team third in the table, but without a win in their last three league games. The club have yet to name a replacement coach.

0 Comments:

World Of Currencies | Formula One RAcing